6/24/2008

Need Advice!

OK, I'm in need of some advice from all you moms out there. MD's started something new - freaking out in his crib and not wanting to go to sleep alone. Eek!

He's been doing this for a month or so at his 2nd caregiver's place, but not with either my mom or me. Well, a few weeks back he started standing in my mom's crib. Then, last week, with me. Which isn't really the problem - the problem is that the minute we lay him down to sleep, he freaks out and pops up to a standing position and CAN'T GET HIMSELF BACK DOWN!

See, he's not quite walking on his own yet. He can pull up on things and get himself in a standing position but then he can't get himself back down. So, if we let him stand in his crib, in hopes of him laying down on his own and going to sleep, it absolutely won't happen. We've tried.

What we have to do is go in there, lay him down, tuck him in, and put our hand on his chest until he is completely asleep. If he's not 100% asleep, the second we walk away from his crib, he freaks out, stands up and wails.

So, I know he's gotta figure out how to get back down from a standing position on his own - but, is there anything I can do in the meantime? I'm so afraid he's already learned that:

Standing in his crib and crying = mommy comes in and takes care of me!

Ugh!!! I definitely don't want to start that. But, there is absolutely no other way to get him to sleep. And, I can't let him not sleep and/or nap. It's not good for him.

Anyway, any advice you seasoned moms might have would help me tremendously! Even to just say you've been through this. Because, of course, I find myself feeling like I'm the only one and this is going to last forever.

Thanks guys!

4 comments:

The Kendricks- Tales From Opossum's World said...

Courtney,
I wish I could help you but as you read Abby is at the, "I"m going to roll over on my tummy and not know what to do next phase". And I know what you mean about feeling like you're the only one going through this and that it will never pass. Do a google search, I've found that I can read mommy chats about all sorts of topics and sometimes it is encouraging to hear what everyone else is going through as well. Just like everything else, this is just another one of those stages that will soon pass and you can then pass on your knowledge to me :) By the way, I love reading the blog, I voted for MD for Parents Baby of the year, he is adorable. Let's try and get together before the summer passes.
Cindy, Heth, and Abby

Jen B said...

We definitely went through some of that way back when. Not exactly the part that he couldn't get himself back down, but that he wouldn't. He'd just scream. So, most of the books that I've read about this subject say to walk in the room and reassure him with your voice, but not to walk to his crib. I know that doesn't help much, but that's all I remember. I tried walking to the door, talking to him, and then maybe even sitting in the room in a chair or on the floor. Once he realized I was there, he'd calm down after a while. Then, gradually, don't go in as far. Stand at the door, then the next time, stand outside the door, etc.

This is a stage he'll go through, and then you'll have a new phase to conquer. It's never ending!

Melanie said...

I agree with Jen B - just try to gradually pull yourself away in stages. First, just stand by the crib, next sit in a chair, next stand at the door, etc (or whatever stages you deem necessary). But, if the issue is that he can't get from a standing to sitting position, then maybe you need to work on that during his play time. Also, if you let him stand in his crib and if he "falls" from standing to sitting, how will he be able to hurt himself? A bump on the noggin won't be terrible for him. He may figure it out on his own if he's wailing long enough to tire himself out to the point where he just sorta drops. I know that "sounds" harsh, but it helps him learn on his own. And it's loving him enough to learn his independence. Anyway, it's a suggestion. I don't want you to beat yourself up about it, which I know I do so you probably do too. It sounds like he might need some direction from you as to how to move from standing to sitting and lots of practice. Practice, practice, practice. He may fall and get hurt, but that's how he'll learn. Goodness, you see the bruises on Mallory's legs. You'd think I'm beating her!

Keep your chin up, girly. Mallory had a phase for 6 months with Doggie (which you've read on my blog) and it took 3-4 nights of her screaming uncontrollable for OVER an hour for her to get that we're not coming back in for the thing. We hardly have any problems now. It's just those 3-4 nights that are hard. He'll get it eventually. Just be patient through the "eventually" part.

Love ya, girl.

The Kendricks- Tales From Opossum's World said...

Two words... "Tonya Harding." The next time MD thinks it's fun to stand up in his crib, you or Donnie should whack him in the knee. That'll teach him. Hmmm... maybe parenting class would have been good for me after all.

Heth