11/05/2009

60...This is a Long One

Today, my dad would have turned 60! You know, it's sad - for many reasons - but, this sad is for the fact that I didn't have a digital camera yet back in 2001 when he passed away. I still loved my trusty 35mm camera. So, I have no picture to post. I've posted on here, before, the sweet picture of my dad and me dancing at my 21st birthday party. But, that's it.

Anyway, I'm not much of a "signs" person but this morning, I've seen/heard many that were sweet reminders of my dad, who I miss more than words can say.

I have a hefty commute to work 3 days a week so I see a lot of vehicles on the interstates. Most are some sort of work vehicle. I always notice the wide variety of business names out there (and think how much better I could have designed their logo!) Well, this morning, just as I was listening to "Smile" by Chris Rice (more on that in a minute) a work truck drove by me with a company name of "Ivey." See, my sweet father-in-law's name is Ivey. It's rare and I've never seen that work truck before. I know that God gave me the sweetest father-in-law in Ivey Dean and (if I believe my dad could see me from where he is) I know he'd be happy I have him in my life.

Also, just seconds later, there was a traffic report about a wreck at IBM drive. My dad worked for IBM (at that location) for many, many years - that's what brought us to NC from CO.

Then there were the back-to-back songs on 91.9. One I've mentioned, "Smile." The song starts with "Cause I just wanna be with You, I just want this waiting to be over...And I finally get to see You smile!" So, it's talking about God - but this song has always made me think of my dad. I can't wait 'til I get to see him again.

The 2nd song (just after "Smile") was "Cry Out to Jesus" by Third Day. This song starts with "To everyone who's lost someone they love long before it was their time. You feel like the days you had were not enough when you said goodbye...Cry out to Jesus." And, of course, this song always makes me think of dad, too.

Last, lately I've been talking to Michael Dean about his Grandpa Jeff. He doesn't get it and is just repeating words I ask him to say - "Grandpa Jeff" - but, man, when he says those words I can't help but think how much my sweet dad has missed out on by not meeting and getting to play with his precious grandson.

Anyway, I'm at work and no tears are allowed at work. I love my dad and miss him so much. Happy Birthday, Dad.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Courtney, thank you so much for these sweet, precious words.

I miss him so much but as I look at you I see him and I stand and marvel at what a wonderful woman and precious mom you have become. Your DAD would be beaming from ear to ear (of course you know if Grandpa Jeff were around Michael Dean would not be yours because he would he bis Grandpa's boy)watching your maturity on a daily basis.

I never realized just what I had until it was taken away from me. For that I will always feel sorrow but also thank GOD for the time we did have together. Retirement would have been fun with him at my side.

Your words for Ivey are so true. He indeed is a man that deserves the title FATHER, FATHER IN LAW & POPPA and I am so thankful he is in your life & definitely in Michael Deans life...He, like your Dad would have, will teach LIL MAN lots & lots & lots of GREAT things....

I love you & again Thank you for this time of sharing your memories and thought about your dad w/all your friends. What a tribute you gave him,,,,MOM

Anonymous said...

You know I never leave messages on these things, but I think I'll make an exception today. I have been thinking about you all today - and I apologize for not calling and letting you know that. I know we are all missing Jeff - he was a special person and I never heard anyone say anything against him in the many many years we were friends. I am also glad that I was able to share his final time with all of you, and I think you Donna and Courtney for asking us to be with you. I would not have missed it for the world. I hope on my final day I will have so many loving family and friends around me.

I know he would be proud of you Courtney, to see the way you've grown up and the wonderful young woman and mother you are.

I will still be thinking about you when I go to sleep tonight.....

Love, Aunty "P"

sldrye said...

Although this is late, Happy Birtday Jeff. I am glad that you could feel him near you yesterday in the songs you heard and the signs you saw- God has a way of bringing those things along right when we need them. May you continue to find comfort in him as you remember your dad.

sldrye said...

Although this is late, Happy Birtday Jeff. I am glad that you could feel him near you yesterday in the songs you heard and the signs you saw- God has a way of bringing those things along right when we need them. May you continue to find comfort in him as you remember your dad.