8/04/2010

Grandpa Jeff's Train Bed

My dad was an amazing handyman. And even though his daytime profession was in Engineering, he was an amazingly creative handyman. He built some beautiful wood furniture and anyone who was able to get one of these pieces knew they were very lucky.

About 20 years ago, my dad made a very cute train bed for some family friends. It was intended for their son and ended up bunking all 3 of their sons over the years. Well, when I found out I was going to have a son, we started trying to track down the "train bed" and soon after, our friend, Lisa, immediately offered it back to the Brezina family. So we snatched it back.

We've been waiting 3+ years to put this bed back together and introduce Michael Dean to his Grandpa Jeff's "choo-choo train" bed. This past weekend we were finally able to do that. And, man, was he excited!! He couldn't wait to get it together and play in it. Surprisingly, he sleeps real well in it, too.

So, to my sweet daddy: I'm sure you never dreamed this bed would ever live under your grandson's little body, but now it does! Thank you for being so talented and creative. I benefit from it every day, and now your grandson, who favors his Grandpa Jeff in so many ways, does too. We love you and miss you, Grandpa Jeff.

Trying out his new "big-boy" mattress

Helping daddy put his new "choo-choo" train together

Chugga-chugga. Woo-woo!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you Jeff,,,,Donna

Anonymous said...

Wow, Court! How special is it that MD gets to use something made by his grandpa and it's so perfect for him! I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a little tear in the corner of my eye right now :)

Sarah

Courtney said...

Thanks guys. Yah, I think I created my own tear-jerker...

Melanie said...

SOOOOO totally awesome! My grandfather made us a barbie house bed and we loved it. If I could track that down somewhere...

Merissa said...

The train bed is wonderful- I knew it would be! Sweet dreams MD!

Merissa said...

Did MD get his hair cut?

sldrye said...

That is awesome and such a cool bed :) Your dad was so talented