8/04/2009

Day #4

Well, I guess you could say today is Day #1 - at daycare without a pacifier.

This past Saturday, we "threw away" Michael Dean's pacifiers because they were "broken" (mommy's first strategy to cut the tips didn't quite work!) and "dirty." See, since MD is now 2 he will be moving up to the 2-year olds' class in about a month or so. And, in that class pacifiers (and sippy cups - I know, stupid - but that's another story!) are NOT allowed. Yikes!

My philosophy about this whole pacifier thing has always been to not worry about it. (I have enough stuff to worry about!) That thing got us through a lot of tough times and I never feared MD walking into kindergarten with it still in his mouth, so I just figured it would go away at some point. When the timing was right. No pressure.

Well, in steps daycare. I could go on for days about the cons of daycare. (Don't get me wrong. There are some pros. But, I still believe that a good combo of staying at home with mom and pre-school a few days a week would be the optimal schedule for us.) Anyway, I was told by MD's teacher that we needed to start working on getting rid of the paci since his next class wouldn't allow it.

So, I came home Friday ready to start the process since I can't stand for things to linger. Thinking that MD would handle the "broken" solution pretty well, since he loves to throw things away, I cut the tips off 2 of his pacis. Well, that just p---ed him right off! I ended up giving in very early Saturday morning and gave him a "not-broken" paci.

Because of that, I woke up ashamed and determined Saturday morning to get rid of the pacis completely. So, I had MD throw both the broken and non-broken ones away - which he did very willingly. Come naptime, though, he was not so willing to go to bed without them. He screamed and yelled and I cried. It sucked.

But, after reading online that going cold turkey is the best way and the typical kid will get used to it after 3 days, I decided to stick it out. Sunday went great. Yesterday was OK. I am so nervous about today - his first day at daycare without one.

His teacher knows I don't want him to have a paci so she's not going to give him one. Ugh!! Will 3pm ever get here today???

Good luck, my sweet little boy. Mommy's not trying to be mean. She's just following the rules.

1 comment:

Darren & Crystal Libby said...

Poor baby, I feel his pain. My mom cut a little of the tip off of mine everyday until there was nothing left to go in my mouth. She said I still tried to push it in there haha.
Crazy daycare rules though huh. When we were in Fl I was a one year old teacher and we worked with the kids on drinking out of "Big Kid" cups but we still had some that preferred the bottle or a sippy. We normally left those decisions up to the parents... going to the potty & passing the skills test were about the only requirements for moving up a class... crazy...oh well, I his day goes well....